Sunday, July 5, 2009

On a high

I just got back from a bike ride and it was fantastic.

I had decided last night that I was going to bike to Western Springs. Western Springs is a gorgeous lake with hundreds of ducks and swans and chickens and other animal life running around freely, and is about 8km from my house. From there I would lock my bike up and go for a run. There are 2 MASSIVE hills right by my house that I would have to bike up and down to complete my journey and I knew I would never make it so I put my bike into the boot of my car and drove until I got to the bottom of the second hill.

The ride was great, there were a few little hills that I had to bike up on the way there which almost gave me cardiac arrest but I managed to survive. Flying along on the downhills was awesome, I couldn't stop grinning. I saw a few other cyclists along the way and they all smiled, waved or nodded at me. I felt like a true cyclist... though I'm pretty sure most of them were just smiling at my awesome hot pink bike and helmet. As I neared Western Springs I knew I would never be able to do my run. I was so tired already and I had to get back to my car. I totally over-estimated my fitness levels. So when I got to Western Springs, I turned around and headed home. The journey home was much harder and I had to get off to walk up the hills. It was raining off and on during the whole ride and it started getting cold so I was glad to get into my car.

The whole ride was just great! And I can't wait to do it again sometime! Tomorrow I am going to drive to Western Springs to go for my run :)

No comments: